Things Trinbagonian Parents Say to Gardeners

If you are a Trinbagonian Rogue Gardener, you’ve probably heard a couple of these common phrases thrown at you. If not, this is a disclaimer that my mom may be crazy and overprotective…

Whenever I garden too early in the morning….
·       Drink some tea before you fall down in the garden
·       Yuh eat breakfast yet? What yuh doing out there?

Whenever I garden mid-morning….
·       You know in my days we didn’t have sunblock, we use to make straw hats or cover we head with a jersey…

Whenever I garden in the evening…
·       Put on some long pants in the garden. You ain’t fraid something bite yuh fine legs?
·       Rub some Vaseline on it to stop the scratching 

Whenever I ask for things to add to my compost...
·       Compost? I don’t have time for dat!


Mom in her garden (...or forest?)


Whenever I complained that a plant isn’t doing well….
·       Stick a blue bottle by the plant to cut blight
·       In my days, we would have thrown some stale pee on that

Whenever I talk about planting seedlings...
·       Plant? I just threw the seeds outside the window
·       Potting Soil? I thought dirt was free
·       Just stick it in the ground somewhere, it will grow

Whenever we go out….
·       Stop the car, I want to thief a piece of that plant
And finally, if you have never been asked to drop something on the ground so
you can break off a piece of plant while picking it up, also known as stealing,
you are not a Rogue Gardener!

Have you heard any of these things or do you get worse? Let’s chat in the comment section below.


Comments

  1. "Stick a blue bottle by the plant to cut blight" hahahaha.

    Great post. The lols were glowing.

    I was reproached by my mother for not "waking up" the plant before breaking a limb off(can't remember what plant it was). She then nudged me aside, shook the tree and said, "wake up tree! wake up!". Apparently the tree might die if you don't wake it up at night before you take stuff from it. #TobagoMoms

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback! "wake up the plant" lol, have not heard this one before! That's pretty interesting though hope you remember to do it in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Plant? I just threw the seeds outside the window" ahaha so true.

    Your mom (and all old people?...) has real talks. This post was too funny.

    Can't tell you how many times we have to stop the car for my granny to "stop and grab a piece" of a plant :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. They claim these stolen pieces grow better lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mom looks proud of her handy work and she knows steal plants like nobody's business lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is definitely proud! hahaahha yes she does!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To this day meh granny still cussing her bougainvilla plant she stole from a random yard. The mama plant was bushy and thick with deep purple flowers. Her piece leggy and pushing pink flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol that's part of the rogue gardening adventure, you never know how things will turn out! Go get her another piece!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 Reasons To Get in on the Gardening Action

Beauty of the Butterflies